Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Thai Cuisine

Well well well, the long awaited personal post which everyone of you have requested for has finally come!

Enjoy this precious post.

So here goes nothing.

Okay, firstly I met up with my friends at United Square before I head to my friend's (Samuel The Chef) house.

We have decided to go early at around 3pm because he needed help because he had work in the morning. I shall not reveal the ruthless company that made him work on a Saturday here. Cheers !

Our task for the day was to whip up a delicious Thai Cuisine. But this is definitely not your quintessential Thai Cusine as quoted from our chef. It is actually a FUSION, yeah, how creative !



So our first dish was this spring roll wrapped in mushrooms, basil, pepper and cheese. The spring roll is actually made of rice paper which is extremely hard to deal with.

First, we had to place it in water to soften it up but then we realised that we left it in the water for too long and in the end we had to dry it to harden it a little again. It's pretty lame but you should have seen how we threw rice paper at each other for screwing up ! Hilarious I swear ! Haha.

Then Jaryl was tasked to deep fry the spring roll and as you can see from the picture above, he did a more than fantastic job ! I guess all the Asia Travelling shows have taught him very well.

Well Done !



Next, the above is actually mayonese sauce. I bet you guys must be thinking, what in the blue hell is that? How can that thing possibly be mayonese? Isn't mayonese supposed to be in its pristine white colour?

Contrary to popular belief, home-made mayonese is actually yellow in colour. New fact of the day! (that is if you do not know yet, please do not shout at me if you already know :( thanks)

By the way, I was the one who was tasked to make the mayonese along with my helper Wei Kuan and it sure was hard man. I had to beat it consistently and my hand was aching after the whole beating but seeing the end product puts a smile to my face.

It really tastes great! My first attempt at making the mayonese !

Oh, the mayonese is actually the dipping sauce for the spring roll !



Cool Napkin of the day !



Tasty rice that is the easiest to cook for the day. But it sure was fragrant and tasty ! It wasn't too sticky, neither was it too hard. It was just the right texture, soft and chewy.



I had to give it to the chef for this dish. It's actually known as the green curry as the Thais will call it. He was boiling this thing for the entire afternoon! I guess it took him like 4 hours to brew this thing to capture the essence of the dish.

And oh my, when I tasted the curry, I thought that I will be reaching for my jug of water as I do not like spicy food at all and I can't take chilli either.

But to my pleasant surprise, the curry was light and it was carrying a tinge of spiciness that tingers your tastebud. To a certain extent, it was rather sweet and sour which was rather intriguing for me.

Total shock I must say. In the end, I ended up pouring furiously the curry over my rice. It was too good to resist already!



Up next, it's the ribs wrapped in panda leaf. Haha I was helping out in this dish as well.

Not the intricate marinating but the tying of the pandan leaf around the ribs. It was like tying a baby up because the ribs were so soft and juicy haha. Okay, maybe baby are not juicy but they are soft !

My favourite dish of the day I must say, the ribs were soaked with the saccharine sauce that was simply heavenly. I had to reach for another one after I finish my first one.

It was a battle of life and death I must say when it comes to grabbing of the good food with me !
I am nefairous when it comes to that!



Once again, I rolled the glutinous rice.
WHAT !!!?!!?! That nice looking red ball is actually glutinous rice? Cannot believe it? Well it is, because of the colouring you see haha !

We were dipping it in sweet coconut milk and boy this dessert is one of the best I have ever tasted. It's sweet when dipped with the milk but at the same time it is also sour because of the strawberry topping.

An explosion of tastes in my mouth. BOOM!



This is the cake baked by our dear chef, Samuel.

Just looked at the golden brown colour. As expected of a future Michelin chef. It's baked to the exact right colour. Just the look of it makes me hungry already.

I'm sure by now you are already famished right?

All the good food thrown straight into your face.



Happy Birthday to you.
Happy Birthday to you.
Happy Birthday to Wei Kuan.
Happy Birthday to you.



Take 1 : Bad lightning




Take 2: Simply Gorgeous !

Okay, that is all for my first personal post on a dine out at my friend, Samuel's lovely house.

Stay tuned for future personal posts like this.

Ciaos !

3 comments: