Saturday, August 6, 2011

Warrants

Recently, I have joined the Macquarie Hotshot Contest.


It lasts for a month from 1 August till 30 August 2011. I thought it was a good experience and I definitely did enjoy it till now.


It has been a week now and I am proud to announce that I am currently ranked 7 in the student's category.




To see my name on a renowned website and contest is definitely satisfying. I was very happy to find out that I am rank 7 and that has motivated me to work hard for the next 3 weeks to perform the best I possibly can.


This has been an awesome learning experience. Reason being, it is hands-on.


We learn a lot of things in school but we often forget about it after 6 months. Why? Because it does not stick to us. It is only temporary. We learn ad we forget.


But, if we do it everyday, we will never forget. We become so in touch with the skill that we are so familiar with it.


Through this experience, I learnt to keep up with the global news. Before this contest, I always felt that it is very difficult to keep up with what's going on around the world. The professors always tells us to read the Business news, The Financial Times, but I always find it hard to consistently read them because of the workload in school.


However, through this contest, I realised that I have been keeping with what's happening around the world.


1. U.S raising the debt ceiling but still facing uncertain growth rate as the tax cuts are expiring soon

2. Italy and Spain might default on their debts and Europe is definitely in the dark right now.

3. China has $1 trillion investment in US debts and are very unhappy with the recent downgrade in the credit ratings by S&P

4. Asia stocks have been plummeting amidst fear of the uncertainty surrounding the West


By linking these 4 news together, you can make a lot of judgemnets and conclusions and I find that really amazing.


It is no longer difficult to read the news and I am able to understand them now. Having mastered the financial terms in school, I am able to put them into good use when I am analysing data online and also, I am able to make my own judgements on certain issues happening around the world.


From this warrant contest, I have learnt that by consistently following the news, it is actually quite easy to keep up with what's happening around the globe.


In fact, this is really what I want to do in the future, investment banking and that requires a lot of analysis, time and commitment. I am really happy that I am moving smoothly towards my goal and as the new school term is starting next week, I promise to keep up with the competition, the global news as well as my studies !

No comments:

Post a Comment